www.jetdv.com Forum Index Edward Troxel
Vegas Scripting and Newsletters
Home of Excalibur and Montage Magic

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL CONVERSION

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Ideas for the Newsletter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL CONVERSION Reply with quote

Hi,

I know the subject has been covered in the forums but only piecemeal and wonder if it might be worth doing an article or series of articles for the Newsletter to bring these all together ( and perhaps fill out on some of the missing detail) as I suspect there must be many people who have edited their films to VHS who would now like to transfer them to DVD.

The article could cover, for example:-

1. The pros and cons of using a commercial machine which has both a VHS and a DVD drive. Are there any quality issues to be considered and how effective is the conversion to mpeg2? And are there aspect problems as much of the VHS material will probably be 4:3 compared with the modern 16:9? If there are any quality issues how might these be addressd?

2. How to transfer the VHS images to the PC and what connections should be made between the VHS Player, the conversion box and the PC. What are the best connections (e.g. SCART from the VHS Player, whether the Red, White and Yellow plugs can be used and the merits of making a connection to the PC via USB2 or Firewire). Again the question of quality comes into play and advice about this would be helpful.

3. Is it preferable to import (capture) direct to Vegas rather than the Hard Drive and, if so, how this should be done. Presumably the set-up in 2 above will work - or will it? Will the Capture from External Video application be appropriate and will this allow Batch Capture (and what happens about the scene by scene capture default if Batch Capture is not used)? What are the problems that need to be considered (e.g. aspect ratios, format issues, pixel size etc) and how are these to be dealt with (presumably some of the Preferences will need to be changed but which ones)? If a film is transferred in this way it can presumably be edited in the usual Vegas way but how can Vegas be used to address any loss of quality that might have occurred. And will the Pan and Crop tool have to be brought into play? Etc., etc.

Is this a big ask? I think it probably is for which I offer my apologies whilst at the same time thanking you again for the excellent work you do.

Regards,

Richard Jones
kiwihans

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
I am using a ADVC110 made by Thomson. It used to be called a Canopus. It does a good job converting analogue video to digital. Once you have the digital file in Vegas, you can go from there. I agree with you - the whole field of HD video is confusing. I wonder if Edward Troxel would consider producing a set of newsletters: eg. Getting started in HD - camera equipment required, ideal computer specs, what versions of Vegas can handle HD etc etc.
Richard Jones

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kiwihans. Yes, I ended up using the Canopus ADVC110 and found it very good.

I agree that the HD field is hard to understand if you have not already used it (and I haven't). There seem to be several formats, only some of which can be used in Vegas, involving different compression rates and with some being easier to edit as well as more/less resource intensive than others. I understand that for these reasons many people have to convert the format a film is recorded in and how to do this might be an aspect worth exploring as well.

I think a Newsletter on this would be appreciated Edward.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Ideas for the Newsletter All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: