www.jetdv.com Forum Index Edward Troxel
Vegas Scripting and Newsletters
Home of Excalibur and Montage Magic

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Inspector Custom Command
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Project Inspector Custom Command Reply with quote

Download Project Inspector here:
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/excalibur
[note: Project Inspector is now a part of Excalibur 6. Simply install Excalibur and Project Inspector will be available. New updates will also be included in the Excalibur version.]

Project Inspector is a new Vegas Pro 8 Custom Command that will search for several of the common mistakes made during editing. It opens as a window that can be docked with any of the other Vegas windows. It can be set to automatically check for errors or only do manual checks. It will be turned off until the Project Inspector window is opened.

To access the Project Inspector, go to View - Extensions - Project Inspector. It will dock in the docking area and can be undocked and resized as desired. Click on Preferences to set your desired options. As you work, it will update automatically (or you can click the "Update Now" button) and show the following "possible problems":

1. Track Opacity slightly above 0% or below 100%
2. Event Opacity slightly above 0% or below 100%
3. Track Audio levels slightly above or below 0db or slightly above "off"
4. Event Audio levels slightly above or below 0db or slightly above "off"
5. Track Audio pans slightly left/right of center
6. Small video or audio events
7. Playback rates slightly above or below 100%
8. Short Fade-in/Fade-out for audio and video events (with option to ignore "quickfades")
9. Indicates if a video event is NOT on a frame boundry
10. Indicates if media is "Off-line"

The Project Inspector screen is automatically (unless that option is turned off) or manually updated. For every issue on the screen, you can double-click on the timecode and the cursor will be moved to the location of that issue. With the proper option set, you can also single-click on the issue description to be taken to the location of that issue.

If you double-click the issue, the Project Inspector will attempt to "fix" most issues. If you don't like the "fix", simply UNDO and apply your own fix.

More issues and fixes may be added in the future. Feel free to e-mail requests.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts
www.jetdv.com
editdv@jetdv.com

Last edited by Edward Troxel on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
frazerb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the definition of "slightly?" Is it 1%, 5% or does it vary by parameter?

Buddy
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can enter the percentage YOU desire. The default is 10%.
fredfillis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward,

One that caught me in my early days was video track levels not at 100%.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... That's #1 on the list above. Track Levels/Track Opacity has caught many people. This seems to be less of an issue in Vegas Pro 8 as the arrow keys no longer move the levels slider but I threw it in there anyway.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new version is now available. You can download it at:
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/excalibur
[note: Project Inspector is now a part of Excalibur 6. Simply install Excalibur and Project Inspector will be available. New updates will also be included in the Excalibur version.]

This version requires 8.0a, has a couple of bug fixes, and will also detect hidden clips.

Exit Vegas before attempting to install the new version. After installed, restart Vegas.

Last edited by Edward Troxel on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MRe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the very useful script.

There are at least two more things that may be very difficult to find manually where this command could help:

- find completely overlapping events. For some reason from time to time I manage to make this kind of error with Vegas (having the same clip twice on top of each other, not as takes). May be because of failed "add as takes" or double click in explorer, or whatever. I've been using John Meyer's script to sort this out (it puts markers on overlapping events)

- find small (1-5 frames) gaps between clips. This can normally be seen only from the end result (e.g. if it is only 1 or 2 frames). Very annoying.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one is on my "to-do" list. The first one is partially there in that it will look if a clip is totally hidden by another one - not sure if it will find a full length clip, though, without further testing.
MRe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks.

I tested it with my project and it could not find those completely overlapped scenes.

This feature would also be very much appreciated if you choose to implement it.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version will now detect completely overlapped events. I'll let you know when/how this version can be obtained.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short Gap detection will also be in the next version.
MRe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
torchy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you indeed - for me, the possibility of making such mistakes has been the downside of the flexibility of Vegas - you are now removing that downside for all practical purposes.

Another useful warning would be for any audio or video events that are not faded in or out, just abrupt, which tends to sound messy. A warning rather than an error, since this could occasionally be intentional. I made this mistake recently, requiring a long re-render...
torchy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it detects short audio fade-in and -out, it doesn't no fade i.e. a zero frames fade. An option to include zero as being short would be useful.

Auto update does not always work. Example, project with just a single event of video & its audio track. Tried adding a deliberately short fade at the end of both audio and video. No update. Press "Update now" button or alternatively just click inside the timeline (tracks area) and the issues were both reported. Removed both the fades. No update. Press "Update now" or click in the timeline and issues were removed.

I hope that my comments are helpful to the growth of this wonderful tool.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need to click somewhere for auto update to actually update. It DOES auto work - just a little delayed sometimes depending on what you're doing. I could make it happen more often but didn't want to make it too invasive.

Thanks for the comments and suggesions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Custom Commands All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: