www.jetdv.com Forum Index Edward Troxel
Vegas Scripting and Newsletters
Home of Excalibur and Montage Magic

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AutoSave Custom Command
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: AutoSave Custom Command Reply with quote

Vegas Pro 8 users, here's the first available Custom Command for everyone to try. AutoSave will automatically backup your project and also provide multiple time-stamped versions. If Vegas is running, please exit Vegas, install this tool, and then restart Vegas. You can download it from:
http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur
[note: AutoSave is now a part of Excalibur 6. Simply install Excalibur and AutoSave will be available. New updates will also be included in the Excalibur version.]

Once installed, this Custom Command will remain inactive until the initial setup has been performed. To perform the setup, in Vegas Pro 8 go to Tools - Extensions - and pick "AutoSave". Select the various options as desired and set the "Emergency" folder. Once activated, it will automatically save your project every "x" minutes (dependent on what you entered in the setup screen).

AutoSave will automatically start each time Vegas is restarted and create backups with the following methods/restrictions:

1. Each time a project is "backed up", it will be saved a total of three times:
a. Once in the "Emergency" folder with the date/time appended
b. Once in the project folder with the date/time appended
c. Once in the project folder under the original file name

2. It can be turned on or off via the setup screen. When on, there will be a square around the icon in the menu. When off, there will be no square around the icon in the menu.

3. If the current project has never been saved, it will request that you do an initial save the project.

4. It will NOT save if the project hasn't been modified since the last save.

5. It will stop trying to save when rendering is started and will resume saving when rendering is finished.

Requirements: Vegas Pro 8.0 build 144

Last edited by Edward Troxel on Fri May 23, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoSave has been updated and now version 1.1. You can find the updated version at:

http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur
[note: AutoSave is now a part of Excalibur 6. Simply install Excalibur and AutoSave will be available. New updates will also be included in the Excalibur version.]

Changes in this version:

1. The "Date/Time" names will no longer appear in the File menu.

2. You can optionally choose to save the "Date/Time" files in either the Emergency folder, the Project folder, or BOTH.

NOTE: Vegas must be shut down while this is installed.

Last edited by Edward Troxel on Fri May 23, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark Foley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Auto Save be configured to startup automatically with Vegas?
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have it "turned on", it DOES auto start.
Mark Foley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad...as I realized it did start... Smile
Nick Hope

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward, this is a great custom command, but is it possible to make this so that it only prompts once to save the project?

Quite often I open Vegas just to try something out and I don't want to save, so it can be a little irritating to get repeated prompts to save. On a couple of occasions I have had Vegas running behind other applications and when I return to it there are 10 or more AutoSave prompt windows stacked on top of each other that need to be closed one by one.

You might say I should just set it so it doesn't auto-start, but then no-doubt I would forget to have it running when I need it most.

Another improvement might be the ability to automatically delete older backups. For example the user might be able to set it to only keep the most recent X backups, where X might be 10 or whatever the user enters. This would stop the project folders filling up excessively.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, those are both good ideas. I've added them to the list of possible improvements.
Grazie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Nick, my thoughts as well. I've given this some thought too.

How about, even THOUGH I've set up for a save every 10 minutes, that while Vegas WAS/IS dormant, so is Autosave? Meaning, yes it will save every 10 mins while I'm working, but when I get back to Vegas, and I start working again ( well, logically that is exactly when I'd want to save it anyway!) it would invoke an "ON RETURN" type message to save?

How would that be Nick/Edward?

Grazie
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Save only saves the project *IF* it needs to be saved. That means if you get up and walk away for 2 hours, after the first 10 minute interval is reached it will save the project. 10 minutes later, it will NOT because no changes have been made. It will continue not saving for the next 2 hours until you come back and actually change the project. So you don't have to worry about getting a ton of saves if you simply leave the project open and walk away for a few hours.
Grazie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. I apologise. Embarassed

Grazie
Nick Hope

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing quite a lot of frameserving to other applications. When I frameserve a large project, I get these prompts when I come back at the completion of the render, even though no real changes are made to the project. I guess Vegas is still "active" in this situation.
JimH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance for a version for V7?
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The ability to create Custom Commands is a new feature in Vegas Pro 8. It is impossible to create the equivalent in the previous versions. To me, Custom Commands are a great reason to upgrade to Vegas Pro 8. For example, I love having Excalibur 6 - the Custom Command - always available as a docked window. It simplifies things greatly!
JimH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed, with all the mixed reveiws on V8 with HD I've seen no reason to switch except maybe for the protitler...now this is a new reason. Are there many third party's putting out custom commands? Is there a list somewhere? Downloads?
TheHappyFriar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what I did & upgrade every other version. IE get 9 instead of 8. 9 should be out some time this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Custom Commands All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: