www.jetdv.com Forum Index Edward Troxel
Vegas Scripting and Newsletters
Home of Excalibur and Montage Magic

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a way to test "file in use"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisFontenot13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Is there a way to test "file in use"? Reply with quote

I have some scripts that rely on being able to open files in a directory sequentially... is there any way to have Vegas 7.0 detect when a file is already open by another program (such as if it is being encoded/trancoded into the directory by another process)? Otherwise it throws an error when it tries to open it and drops an error.

I managed to hack some bits together that tests to see if the file contains a video stream and if that stream isn't there, move right along, but this seems clunky. Any ideas?
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it in a try - catch. Then when you try to open the file, if you can't you could output a message saying which file(s) couldn't be opened (if you wanted) but at least processing could continue.
ChrisFontenot13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically what I'm doing right now (if it catches the file existing without a video stream, it throws an error).

It seems strange to me that I couldn't find a simple "File In Use" test in the API somewhere, rather than having to open the file, test for a video stream, etc. Then again there might be one and I didn't see it... or there might be one and it's undocumented. You used to be able to use OpenProject to open a video file (Vegas 4), but that wasn't documented either.

Otherwise, I could set up the machines to not encode into those directories, but that would require some re-writes I don't know if I have time for right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Scripting FAQ All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: