www.jetdv.com Forum Index Edward Troxel
Vegas Scripting and Newsletters
Home of Excalibur and Montage Magic

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Scripts from John Meyer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: New Scripts from John Meyer Reply with quote

All of the new scripts created and described by John Meyer have been uploaded here for your easy access. You can download them using these links:

http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/JHM_Delete_event_under_cursor.js
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/JHM_Delete_from_cursor_to_event_start.js
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/JHM_L_and_J_Cut.js
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/JHM_Select_video_and_audio_at_cursor.js
johnmeyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: How to use the "J" & "L" cut script Reply with quote

This script will let you easily create and edit "L" and "J" cuts.

http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/JHM_L_and_J_Cut.js

To use, click in the middle of the first of two events that you want to L or J cut (actually, the cursor simply needs to be over the first of the two events). Then, run the script. The video from the first event, and the audio from the following event will be shortened by one second in a mirror image of each other. You can choose to have the audio from the second event go "under" the first event, or vice versa (a message box pops up and asks you). This lets you get either an "L" or a "J" cut.

You can then trim the audio (or video) of either event without affecting that event's associated video (or audio). Despite this, the audio and video are still locked together when you move them so they don't get out of sync. You can "butt" the audio and crossfade the video or any combination of things. Since every cut is going to be different, the script simply starts you off with a one second offset, and you can then adjust the audio and video for each event to get the cut you want.

The edges of the events on the opposite sides from the L and J cut are still locked together.

I recommend that you turn off ripple edit when doing L and J cuts. After you are finished with the edit, you can the turn ripple back on again (or use "F" or "Ctrl-F") to close the gap with all the subsequent events.

I would recommend that you assign the script to some key combination, so you can do "L" and "J" edits with one keystroke.

Have fun!
johnmeyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Using the delete & select scripts for fast "cuts-on Reply with quote

Three of the scripts posted in this thread let you do lightning-fast "cuts-only" edits. Those three scripts are:
Here's how I use them:

Put the scripts in the directory where you have your other scripts. Use the Keyboard tab in the Options menu to assign keyboard shortcuts to these scripts. I use Ctrl-1 for the script that deletes from the cursor to the beginning of the event, Ctrl-2 for the script that selects the event under the cursor, and Ctrl-3 for the script that deletes the event under the cursor.

Put your AVI files on the timeline in a new project. Obviously this creates two tracks, with the video on tack one, and the audio below. (The scripts work just fine if you have lots of tracks.)

Click on the first video event, mostly just to make sure that the video track is selected. For these scripts to work, you must have selected the video track. Also, if you DO use these scripts on projects with lots of tracks, make sure that the audio track associated with your video is directly below the video.

You are now ready to become a cuts-only editing speed demon.

Scrub through the video using the J-K-L keys. You can set the scrub speed range in the Edit tab of Options menu. I use the default (Medium). When you get to a point where you want to edit, you can make one of three decisions:
    a. You don't like anything you've seen in this event up to the current location, but you just reached the good stuff and want to keep everything from this point until some point later. In this case simply press Ctrl-1 (delete from cursor to beginning of event) and everything from the current cursor location to the beginning of the event is deleted, and the cursor is positioned at the beginning of the event (which is the same frame of video at which you were already located). All later events are rippled (it doesn't matter if ripple edit is turned on or not I usually keep it turned off when using these scripts). The event immediately following the new cursor location is selected, mostly to visually help you locate where you are.

b. The second scenario is where you like EVERYTHING up to this point, but now have come to a section you don't like. In this case, press the S key to split the event, and keep on scrubbing into the newly-created event. The S key automatically highlights the event you are moving into and de-selects the left side of the split. This is consistent with what happens in (a). Note that once you split the event, the event to the right of the split is a new event, and you are back to having the three possible decisions to make.

c. The final scenario is where you don't like anything in this event. All you need do is press Ctrl-3 and it deletes the event under the cursor, ripples all the subsequent events, moves the cursor to the beginning of what, prior to deleting the event, was the next event, and highlights that event to show you where you are.
Thus, to delete to the left of the cursor, you press the left-most key combination (Ctrl-1), and to delete under the cursor or to the right, you press the right-most key combination (Ctrl-3). To split the event, you simply press S. The whole left-right thing is also consistent with the J-K-L shuttle combination. The script that simply selects the event under the cursor is useful when you have scrubbed through several events in a row, without making any edits or deletions. In this case, when you come to an event that you want to split, you must first select it. If you click on the event with the mouse, you will move the cursor position and therefore won't split the event at the exact location you want. You can Ctrl-click, but then you'll have two events selected, and this can lead to problems if you decide to delete the event using the delete key. Instead, if you use the script, it will select the event, unselect all other events (so nothing happens somewhere else on the timeline), yet will not move the cursor. You can then press "S" to split the event.

With these scripts you don't have to worry about what event is selected or not selected. All that matters is the cursor location and the track selection. This eliminates all sorts of errors that can happen if you accidentally have more than one event selected and press the delete key. Also, since the ripple is handled by the scripts, you don't get the surprises that Vegas' own ripple editing sometimes provides. Finally, after running each script (or pressing the S key), the cursor never moves from the last frame of video. Thus, you are always immediately ready to continue editing from the precise location where you left off, with the next event selected to help guide your eye as to where you are going.

The scripts ensure that everything to the left of the cursor is video you have already seen, and everything to the right of the cursor is video you HAVEN'T yet seen that needs to be scrubbed.

To be a cuts-only editing speed demon, you need to:

1. Develop a rhythm.
2. Minimize your movements (keyboard and/or mouse).
3. Eliminate thinking.

These scripts give you the power to do all three of these things.
Armadillo Post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Problem with John Meyer script Reply with quote

I have just used the JHM_Delete_from_cursor_to_event_start.js script, and it work brilliantly. Or so I thought, until I realized that it was ALSO slipping the material inside the following events by the same amount deleted. That is, all following events rippled correctly, had the correct duration, but had been slipped by the deleted duration. The AutoRipple button made no difference. Could this be because I am using Vegas 6d, and the script was written 3 years ago? Any help greatly appreciated.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually... yes it could. Vegas 6 changed some things that I've had to work around in Excalibur. Some older scripts have not been modified with these changes. If you look in the script, this command is used in a couple of places: AdjustStartLength. Unfortunately, the way this command works changed between Vegas 5 and Vegas 6.

You might try commenting out this line (put // in front of it) and see if that helps:

evnt.ActiveTake.Offset = DeleteFrames+evnt.ActiveTake.Offset;
johnmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they don't work with Vegas 6. I have versions that DO work with Vegas 6. IT'S NOT MY FAULT!! Darn Sony changed things and broke something that was working.

Ed, if you want the new version, let me know how I can get them to you. The change requires several edits, not just to that one line.

[Edit] Ed, I emailed the scripts to you a few minutes ago.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnmeyer wrote:
[Edit] Ed, I emailed the scripts to you a few minutes ago.

Haven't seen them yet but I'll get them uploaded as soon as I do.

I didn't figure the one line would fully correct it but thought it might change the offset difference (without thoroughly going through the code to determine how it all worked).
johnmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, the Yahoo email server went down for a few minutes, but is back up. You should have them any minute.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the revised versions can be found at:

http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/JHM_Delete_event_under_cursor.js
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/JHM_Delete_from_cursor_to_event_start.js
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/JHM_L_and_J_Cut(Vegas6).js

Thanks for the update, John.
johnmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

Thanks for posting them so quickly. Please note that I updated these for my own use, and didn't realize that I forgot to update the comments at the beginning of each script to reflect the fact that they now work with Vegas 6. Be assured that they do.

Also, anyone that downloads these new versions should recognize that they DON'T work with earlier versions of Vegas. I don't think there is a way to do the equivalent of a "conditional compile" depending on the version of Vegas being run.
Armadillo Post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed and John,

Thanks for this - can't wait to get back to being a 'cuts-only speed demon.'

Regards

Kim Nance
Armadillo Post
johnmeyer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get the hang of the scripts, you won't be able to live without them. The scripts don't really do anything that wonderful or earth-shattering. However, what makes them so useful -- and I wish Sony would learn from this -- is that they put the focus on the CURSOR and where it is, and completely eliminate having to worry about which events are selected or not selected. You just focus on the cursor, and whatever event is under it, on the selected track, along with its associated audio (if it is on the track immediately below) will be affected. If you use the JKL keys to scrub, and especially if you know the "trick" about pressing and holding the K key before pressing either J or L (which puts the scrubbing operation in a different mode whereby the J and L merely change speed on the timeline, rather than direction), you then have two different ways to scrub the timeline: the "regular" way where you press J K and L, and the "slow motion" way where you start by pressing and holding the K key and then pressing J or L (you can release the K key as soon as you enter this "mode").

By I am nattering again ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Free Scripts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: