www.jetdv.com Forum Index Edward Troxel
Vegas Scripting and Newsletters
Home of Excalibur and Montage Magic

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I find a list of all API calls?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilligan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Where can I find a list of all API calls? Reply with quote

I've done a little VB and I'm doing some PHP/Mysql these days (just a little as of now though).

But like in VB it's all in help files and drop downs in the IDE.

Is there a list of objects for vegas? Like how do you know "Vegas.Project.Tracks" exist as an object to be called or looked at?

I'm just having a hard time jumping feet first into this... JS looks very similar to PHP so I'm eager to start playing around but I only know the "how" not the "what" right now.

If I failed to explain myself please let me know and I will try harder Smile
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bottom two posts in this forum. One points to the API and the other is to a FAQ page. Also, look at the various free scripts and see how they work.
Gilligan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have those open and I'm TRYING to use it.. but it doesn't seem to be either very clear or what I'm looking for... I am using others as examples but that would leave a TON of things hidden if there is not "grand" list of all objects. I would only be able to find the ones in the list or in other scripts (granted that MIGHT be all of them, but how would anyone know?)
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at vol 4 #3 of the newsletters at the "Scripting in C#" article. If you use C# and Visual Studio 2003 to edit, you can get code completion working allowing you to see all possibilites for each. Just type in "Vegas." and you'll see lots of options. Add "Project." and you'll see those options.
Gilligan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I might need to learn yet another language... oh boy Wink

Wait does VB have that same ability... and then could generate vbscript? I know VB already and don't mind installing vb again.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically VB in VS2003 should work. However, I think you'll be better off going to C#. The language is VERY similar for type of task you will be doing plus all the examples you'll find are either in C# or JScript which is VERY similar to C#.
Gilligan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true... shame, I know vb syntax so much better... even if it can be more awkward Wink
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Visual Basic for years. When I started scripting for Vegas 4, all the examples were in JScript and VBScript did not work that well. So... I decided to use JScript and found that, surprisingly, it was a fairly easy conversion.

Then with Excalibur 4 I decided it was time to go to C# since the editing was so much easier (plus I REALLY like the code completion feature). Once again, it was VERY similar to JScript so the conversion was fairly easy. Knowing VB will simply be a bonus for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Scripting FAQ All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: