www.jetdv.com Forum Index Edward Troxel
Vegas Scripting and Newsletters
Home of Excalibur and Montage Magic

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10bit color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Ideas for the Newsletter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluespoet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: 10bit color Reply with quote

I am now using Canon DSLRs for video, I see 8 bit and 10 bit color bandied about, but not sure how to take advantage in Vegas? I bet it has to do with color correction and so think a vegas color correction article helpful esp considering the use of Canon DSLRs. Newblue effects also have color correction effects, but I have no direct experience with their color correction.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you go to Options - Preferences, you can change to "32-bit color mode". There are actually two different 32-bit modes. I know I have read articles from others who know much more about color spaces but an unsure of the links off the top of my head.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/v8color/vegas-9-levels.htm

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-advantages-of-working-in-32-bit-float/

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/506366-8bit-vs-32bit-settings.html
TheHappyFriar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bits are per color on the pixel. 99% of everything out there (hardware wise) is 8 bits per color on the pixel. 8 bit red, green and blue. That's 2^8, = 256 shades for each color. 256 red * 256 green * 256 blue = 16,777,216 possible color combinations. And you still get banding. Smile

10 bit helps. That's 10 bit per color, 2^10 = 1024 shades per color. That's 1,073,741,824 possible color combinations.

Now, your monitor is only 8-bit. TV's are 8-bit. PDA's, tablets, phones, laptops, etc. are all 8-bit. Odds are you'll always display in 8-bit but the processing will turn out better (in theory) with a higher precision, but you'll always get banding & the like on 8-bit displays (because they can't display the same shades as 10/32 bit color).

So even if you have 10 bit footage and edit it in 32-bit, you can't actually SEE what it will look like, you're 100% dependent on levels unless you have a higher bit monitor.
TheHappyFriar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it more and thought to myself "Why use anything above 8 bit if you deal with 99% 8-bit display?"

The answer I came up with is this: digital is 8-bit. Film (both camera and on the big screen) and printing aren't limited to the digital color space.

So there ya go as to why it even exists (digital photography and film). Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Ideas for the Newsletter All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: