www.jetdv.com Forum Index Edward Troxel
Vegas Scripting and Newsletters
Home of Excalibur and Montage Magic

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile 
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Vegas 7 use the .net 2.0 framework for scripting?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lukenlogs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Will Vegas 7 use the .net 2.0 framework for scripting? Reply with quote

... and, thus, the use of Visual Studio 2005? A couple of my classes this semester are requiring us to use VS2005, so I'm curious if I can start toying w/ Vegas & some .net scripts.

Andy

~ Hunter S. Thompson, Dr. of Gonzo Journalism
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't legally say until it's released.
Lukenlogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: OK, how about now? Reply with quote

Do tell, Mr. Troxel. Judging from the manual for v7.0, I'm guessing that we will be able to use .net 2.0 now. I say this because in the manual's section on scripting, it says to simply run Windows Update to get the latest version of the .net framework.

Can you expand on this topic, then?

~ Hunter S. Thompson, Dr. of Gonzo Journalism
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the question can defintely be answered now. Use VS2005 and .NET 2.0 for your Vegas 7 scripts and all will work well. In fact, many .NET 1.1 scripts will also still work in Vegas 7!

Just don't expect the .NET 2.0 scripts to work in Vegas 5 or 6!
MarkWWW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Microsoft have made a variety of free versions of their VS2005 language products available, under the name of "Express Editions". Are these suitable for writing scripts for Vegas 7, or is it necessary to have the full (and paid for) versions?

If the Express Editions are suitable for use with Vegas 7, which of the languages is likely to be the easiest to use, given the kind of information available in the Vegas Scripting API documentation? There's a choice of VisualBasic, C++, C#, or J#. I've used VisualBasic before, but it was a long time ago, back in the days of VB3, and I've forgotten it all now anyway. I've not used any of C++, C# or J# (which I presume is a Microsoft-ised version of something like Java?).

Many thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you can offer on the subject. It occurs to me that it might be a suitable topic for the Newsletter. Actually it's been a while since we had an issue of the newsletter - is there another one coming soon, now that Vegas 7 is out?

Mark
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the Express editions will work just fine. Of the choices, I would choose C#. Vegas 7 will allow direct running of DLLs or CS text files.
Freddie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed Vegas 8 Pro it also installed the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0. So I assume that it is build on the .NET 3.0 framework.

I was wondering which was the best tool to start developing scripts for Vegas 8 Pro- C# Visual Studio 2005 (.Net 2.0) or C# Visual Studio 2008 (.Net 3.0)?

The Vegas Scripting SDK documentation does not specifically say, but it makes reference to the Visual Studio 2005. I did not see any references to Visual Studio 2008.
Edward Troxel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use VS2005 for Vegas 8 and VS2003 for Vegas 5/6/7.

VS2005 works just fine in Vegas 8. All of the Custom Commands I've created and the Excalibur for Vegas 8 update were compiled in VS2005.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.jetdv.com Forum Index -> Scripting FAQ All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: